Saturday, December 04, 2010

The State of Gay Cinema

Have you tried to rent a good gay movie lately?  Maybe even a romance with a happy ending?  I know I have.  Many times I thought I had found what I was looking for, only to see violence or heartbreak at the end.

What is it about gay independent films that so many of them are so dark?  Hasn't gay life gotten any better in the last twenty years?  Shouldn't someone be reflecting that on film?  There are a few good directors out there who always end their romances with a positive message.  I end up watching their movies over and over sometimes.  My life is dark enough, I don't really need to see it on the screen.

I tried watching Clapham Junction last night.  It is an English made for TV movie, not to be confused with what the networks put on here in America.  There is nudity (hooray) and graphic violence (boooo).  I had seen the list of stars of this film, many from the Merchant/Ivory oeuvre.  Even some from the BBC.  When I read the film was made to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the decriminalization of homosexuality in Britain, I guess I thought I might see something uplifting.

If this film is a reflection of gay life in London, I won't be going there any time soon.  The most touching scene is between a pedophile and his 14 year old seducer.  The gay bashings shown in the film were actually based on true events.  So much for the enlightened British.  While the production values and acting were superb, the film left me haunted, thinking that anyone could  be capable of such violence.  Especially, as it turns out, a self-loathing gay man.

I think I will stick with the simpler and more romantic films.  Films like Arizona Sky or Regarding Billy.  The acting and production values may not be as strong, but the stories behind them are far more uplifting.  Maybe this is why I don't like reality television.  Maybe it is true... reality bites.

No comments: